Saturday, February 3, 2018

Measurement Challenge Questions



Measurement Challenge Questions – these questions will test your knowledge of measurement and will challenge you with converting between different standard measurements. The questions will get harder as you work through the sheet so do not be discouraged if you cannot figure out the answer on your own.

1)    Which weighs more 1 g of Lead (one of the densest materials on our planet) or 1 g of Carbon (the basis of life on our planet)?
    a.    Lead
    b.    Carbon
    c.    They weigh the same
    d.    I do not know

2)    Which is longer 1 inch or 2.54 centimeters?
    a.    1 inch
    b.    2.54 centimeters
    c.    They are the same length
    d.    I do not know

3)    If I have 1 g of sugar and 1 g of salt and I mix them together how many grams of mixture will I have?
    a.    1 g
    b.    2 g
    c.    1.5 g
    d.    I do not know

4)    I love walking and try to walk 10 km every day, how many miles do I try to walk? (for this you will need to remember that for every 3.1 miles you walk you walk 5 kilometers)
    a.    3.1 miles
    b.    5 miles
    c.    6.2 miles
    d.    I do not know

5)    Temperature is so cool, we are used to the Fahrenheit scale in the USA but I love to travel and want to know what temperature it will be when I get to England, they use the Celsius scale to convert between Fahrenheit and Celsius you use the following equation: °C = (5/9)*(°F – 32), now if it is 70°F according to the weather channel so what temperature would that be in Celsius?
    a.    70 °C
    b.    38 °C
    c.    21 °C
    d.    I do not know

6)    Let’s work on something that we have not seen, density (mass/volume). I have 14 g of salt water completely filling a 2 mL graduated cylinder, can you figure out the density of the salt water?
    a.    (1 mL)/(7 g)
    b.    (7 g)/mL
    c.    28 g*mL
    d.    I do not know

7)    I have a container that I want to find the volume of here are its dimensions: 2 cm wide, 2 cm deep, and 3 cm high. One hint I will give you is that 1 cm3 = 1 mL.
    a.    2 mL
    b.    4 cm3
    c.    12 mL
    d.    I do not know

8)    Here is a cool concept, moles (and I am not talking about the blind mammals that live in the ground), a mole is a unit of measurement in the SI system that is equivalent to 6.022 x 1023 atoms of an element. When you look on the periodic table you will see weights for the elements, those weights are equivalent to 1 mole of that element. Knowing this if I have 12 g of Carbon how many moles do I have? 1 mole of: Hydrogen = 1 g, Lithium = 6.94 g, Carbon = 12 g, Oxygen = 15.994
    a.    1 g
    b.    12 g
    c.    16 g
    d.    I do not know

9)    Kelvin (K) is an absolute scale (not a relative scale like Fahrenheit and Celsius) so it does not require a degrees symbol when quoting temperatures in it. °C = K + 273.15 and °F = (9/5)*(°C) + 32. Can you figure out what the expression (equation) to convert from Kelvin to °F?
    a.    °F = (9/5) (K) + 32
    b.    °F = (5/9) (K) - 32
    c.    °F = (9/5) (K + 273.15) + 32
    d.    I do not know

10)    The average speed of a Nitrogen molecule in air at 70 °F is 1150 miles/hour, what is its speed in meters/sec (m/s)? 1 km = 1000 m, 1 mile = 1.6093 km, 1 min = 60 sec, 1 hour = 60 min
    a.    Stoichiometry is AWESOME!
    b.    1150 miles/hour
    c.    515 meters/sec
    d.    I don’t know

No comments:

Post a Comment